AIAONLINE.ORG :: PURSUING VICTORY WITH HONOR
Pursuing Victory With Honor
We would like to take the opportunity to welcome you to the AIA's Pursuing Victory with Honor: Creating a Healthy Sport Experience web page. PVWH is one of the AIA's signature programs and represents our continued efforts to promote the core values of the associate and member schools. Throughout its history, the AIA and member schools have used athletics and extra-curricula activities as vehicles to facilitate the development of the whole child.
Because of the central role athletics has come to play in American culture, the time has come to put even more attention and effort into programs that directly target key developmental objectives. To this end, PVWH represents our belief that educational athletics is an effective way to assist participants in the development of sportsmanship and a healthy, addition free lifestyle.
Our PVWH program has evolved from a character education program to one that embraces a healthy sport experience as the defining feature of interscholastic athletics. It is the AIA's expressed belief that the PVWH program has and will continue to increase awareness, educate, and galvanize efforts as we strive to develop a healthy sport community. Please use the resources available on the web page to establish, sustain, and implement the 16 pillars of the Arizona Accord in your school.
We would like to thank the Arizona Department of Health Services Tobacco Education and Prevention Program for their ongoing support of PVWH and other AIA initiatives. We would also like to recognize the Josephson Institute of Ethics for their contributions to the PVWH sportsmanship campaign.
Thank you for your commitment to Arizonan youth.
Harold Slemmer, Ed.D.
Arizona Interscholastic Association
Currently, the AIA has certified over 1,000 athletic administrators and core coaches from over 150 of its member schools in the PVWH curriculum.
As part of the AIA's community outreach, partnerships have been established with various agencies throughout the state to provide education to over 3,000 coaches and 1,500 parents on skills and strategies to create a healthy sport experience.
AIA's media partner, Cox Communications, has brought awareness to the "Pursuing Victory with Honor" initiative by highlighting its message in all championship broadcasts and its award winning "After the Bell" show.
The AIA "Pursuing Victory With Honor" initiative will create an environment in Arizona where the student-athlete, coach, official and spectator is committed to "Pursuing Victory with Honor" and teamwork through TRUSTWORTHINESS, RESPECT, RESPONSIBILITY, FAIRNESS, CARING AND CITIZENSHIP.
- To develop a comprehensive, pervasive and sustaining AIA "Pursuing Victory With Honor" initiative, through the framework of the Arizona Accord.
- To establish character development expectations for the AIA student-athletes, coaches, administrators and spectators involved in AIA athletics and activities.
- To develop standards of accountability for all AIA member schools, student-athletes, coaches, administrators and spectators.
- To implement a program of assessment and accountability of the AIA "Pursuing Victory With Honor" initiative for all participating AIA member schools.
- To incorporate community outreach as a part of a character development outreach for youth sports and activities.
- To establish a clearinghouse of information and research for member schools to affect character traits, educate people on character principals and develop initiatives for character education.
Schools of Distinction
Currently, there are 21 schools of distinction (schools that have successfully implemented the Pursuing Victory with Honor program):
- Amphitheatre High School
- Anderson Junior High School
- Barry Goldwater High School
- Bogle Junior High School
- Boulder Creek High School
- Bourgade Catholic High School
- Buckeye Union High School
- Canyon del Oro High School
- Chandler High School
- Deer Valley High School
- Fort Thomas High School
- Hamilton High School
- Ironwood Ridge High School
- Mountain Ridge HIgh School
- Phoenix Country Day School
- Prescott High School
- Queen Creek High School
- Red Mountain High School
- Sandra Day O'Connor High School
- Willis Junior High School
- Winslow HIgh School
The AIA, in 2008-2009 will continue its efforts and expand the PVWH initiative based on the principles of the Arizona Sports Summit Accord.
- To provide additional PVWH seminars to its member schools and youth sports programs
- Continue gathering research and data on efficacy of programs
- Continue to provide educational opportunities to interscholastic and youth sport coaches statewide through the AIA Academy and the National Federation of High School Coaches Education Programs
- Through the Everyday Heroes awards, continue to honor AIA Students, Administrators, Coaches and Officials who exemplify the ideals of the PVWH initiative